Section is likely to be commissioned by Oct’2021
Shri Ashutosh Gangal , General Manager Northern Railway informed that Northern Railway has embarked upon a major electrification programme to electrify its broad gauge ( BG ) network in mission mode.
The work of electrification of the 142 km long Noli – Shamli – Tapri section of Delhi Division was sanctioned in the year 2016-17 at the cost of Rs. 159.24 Crore. In this work electrification of the section along with provision of new switching stations, provision of new 132/25kV Traction Sub-Station at Ahera & Hind, provision of Height Gauges at Level Crossings, Porta Cabins for relay huts and RRI Room for S&T, staff quarters, Tower Wagon Shed and OHE/PSI Depot, Removal of Conventional Semaphore Signalling Systems and Installation of Multiple Aspect Colour Light Signalling System (MALCS) with provision of block instruments; relays and panels, Connectivity of all switching stations and TSS with Remote Terminal Units and Centralized Control Room and Laying of Optical were included.
The Noli (Excl.)-Shamli (Incl.) Section having Khekhra, Bhagpat Road, Baraut, Qasimpur Kheri, Kandhla and Shamli 06 Nso major stations was commissioned on 22.03.2021 after successful CRS Inspection followed by speed trial by CCRS.
On Shamli (Excl.)- Tapri (Excl.) Section having Hind, Thana Bhavan, Nanauta, Rampur Maniharan and Manani 05 Nos. major stations, balance work is in progress and the section is likely to be commissioned by Oct ‘2021.
Benefits after electrification of this section
● By Electrification of this section, Delhi Division of Northern Railway will be 100% Diesel Free.
● In view of fast growth of industry and development of the region covered by this route, there will be remarkable increase in movement of food grains, sugar and fertilizers, as the section lies in the fertile plains of Western UP.
● By electrification of this section, traffic meant for via MuzaffarNagar-Meerut City-Ghaziabad can be diverted through this route thereby decongesting the heavily crowded Saharanpur-Meerut City-Ghaziabad section.
● It will also enable more EMU services in Delhi –Saharanpur section for ensuring speedy movement of the commuters.
● With electrification, Delhi Division of NR and National Capital Region will become completely diesel free. This will facilitate curtailing air pollution and cleaner air in Delhi NCR.
● This will also result in substantial savings in diesel cost and increase in sectional speed. Also, it will ensure seamless electric traffic in the Noli-Tapri section without any need of change of traction.
● It will also help in increasing the average speed of Freight Trains thereby helping in achieving the objective of “Mission Raftar”.
● Also, it will enable haulage of heavier freight and longer passenger trains at higher speeds.
● Signalling and telecommunication systems are also upgraded by adopting state-of-the-art technology. Semaphore signalling system is being replaced by a color light signalling system. Use of color light signals results in better visibility of signaling aspects to the loco pilots of running trains and this makes train running safer and operationally efficient. Also, the conventional token system has been removed and Automatic Block Instruments have been provided.
● Optical Fibre Cable is being used in this section which is free from copper and is not prone to theft. It provides superior quality of communication with a large number of telephone channels to meet future needs of train operation and safety.
● Electricity can be taken from power utilities at a cheaper rate through open access.