Wednesday, June 12, 2024
HomeLatest NewsIsrael planning major ground assault to finish Hamas, calls up 3 lakh...

Israel planning major ground assault to finish Hamas, calls up 3 lakh reservists soldiers

  • Casualities in ongoing conflict rise over 1100 as war intensifies

  • At least 560 Palestinians killed in Tel Aviv’s counter strikes on Gaza
    US has moved an aircraft carrier, ships and jets to the eastern Mediterranean in the wake of the war

Jerusalem, Agencies :

Israel has vowed to finish Palestinian militant group and drafted a record 300,000 reservists soldiers in its response to a multi-front Hamas attack from Gaza and is “going on the offensive,” the chief military spokesperson said on Monday. Meanwhile the United States has moved an aircraft carrier, ships and jets to the eastern Mediterranean in the wake of the war between Israel and Hamas militants in Palestine. US defence secretary Lloyd Austin said that fighter jets are also likely to be sent. The ongoing conflict, triggered by Hamas’ operation known as ‘Operation Al-Aqsa Flood,’ has resulted in over 1,100 deaths on both sides. At least 560 Palestinians killed in Tel Aviv’s counter strikes on Gaza. Thousands have been wounded and displaced. Over 130 Israeli and other nationals are also feared as taken hostage by the Hamas.
Since Saturday’s surprise assault, Israeli aircraft have been pounding Gaza targets while its ground forces have battled to retake control of border villages and towns overrun by Palestinian gunmen.
Chief military spokesperson Rear-Admiral Daniel Hagari said control of those communities had been re-established but that isolated clashes continued as some gunmen remained active.
“We are now carrying out searches in all of the communities and clearing the area,” he said in a televised briefing.

Military officials had previously said that their focus was on securing Israel’s side of the border before carrying out any major escalation of the counter-offensive in Gaza.

Hagari said 300,000 reservists have been called up by the military since Saturday, a number suggesting preparations for a possible invasion – though any such plans have not been officially confirmed.
“We have never drafted so many reservists on such a scale,” he said. “We are going on the offensive.”

Hagari confirmed media reports that 700 people had been killed on Israel’s side of the border, including 73 confirmed members of the security forces. He said Israel’s military had killed hundreds of Palestinian gunmen.
The foreign ministers of the European will on hold urgent talks on the situation in Israel and Gaza, the bloc’s foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said.
“I am convening tomorrow an emergency meeting of EU Foreign Ministers to address the situation in Israel and in the region,” Borrell said.
Iran has called for an emergency meeting of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) as fighting between Hamas and Israeli forces raged on Sunday. It also denied any involvement in the attack.

“Tehran has called for an emergency meeting of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) to discuss regional developments,” spokesperson Nasser Kanaani said. UN agency says it is sheltering over 74,000 people in Gaza.

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -
Google search engine

Most Popular

Recent Comments

सुधीर शुक्ला on D.P. Tripathi : The Shakespear of Politics